Thursday, November 23, 2006

Anil Ambani – No lesser God

These days the first comment people have after reading my blog is – Its very anti Anil Ambani. Boss, I must clarify here that he is son of my ultimate God and I no way doubt his competence. I have stated earlier also on my blog and again I am stating here – He is potential “Warren Buffet from India”.

In my earlier blog – “How can you worship Reliance of all things??!!” I had explained that interests are like a religion and everybody has the freedom to follow the religion of his own liking. I follow the religion ‘Infrastructure’ hence I admire Mukesh Ambani & his unmatched project implementation skills more. It doesnt mean that I dont respect any other religion.

Anil is God of Finance. His core competence is different which does not make him a lesser person. And if I am correct, there are ten follower of Finance as a religion for every one follower of Infrastructure as a religion. I have mentioned earlier also that watch you for Reliance Capital Ltd because it’s where Anil Ambani’s heart is. One of the first comments he made after getting control of the four Reliance companies was “I want to make Reliance Capital among the top three companies in the private financial services and banking sector in India. Reliance Capital will become a full service financial services company.” It’s where his heart is. Did he make any similar announcements for Telecom or Power business? And I believe no matter what they teach us at MBA schools, business is very much about heart (and vision comes from there only) like anything else like relationships etc.

Yes, I doubt his project implementation skills. But there are reasons to it. The first and the foremost - his ‘historical blunder’ of getting too close of Samajwadi Party. Who else but a Ambani should know the importance being politically neutral. Second, which is more fundamental in nature, his lack of ‘hands on’ approach. I personally feel it’s difficult to implement Reliance size infrastructure projects without hands on approach. (I might be wrong but that is what I believe right now).

I doubt that Reliance Communications would do great things under his leadership and because I am obsessed with Reliance Communications I end up criticizing him quite often. Same logic goes for Reliance Energy also where I feel he has pushed himself on the wrong side of the ‘current political power’ and without political support you can’t manage in a sector like power sector which is in great mess due to political reasons.

But then not everybody needs to do everything. Reliance Capital i.e Finance is a big enough business (Banking, Insurance, Mutual funds etc etc) to keep him occupied for his life time. That’s why I have been advocating that he should sell out of Infocomm. Not only he will be richer by atleast Rs. 50000 crores which can be utilized to fulfill his Reliance Capital dream but that way Reliance Infocomm (Reliance Communications) would also be able to perform to its potential.

I wish the two brothers had not separated. They were just invincible together. One amazing Project Implementer and another Finance Wizard!! But that was not to be:( Since they have separated they are hell bent to prove that two Reliance is better than one. I wish they manage to do just that.

No comments: