Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Why is Anil so bullish on power generation?

To be frank, since the time Anil Ambani had started washing dirty liners in public I had lost respect for him and had been criticizing him regularly on my blog.Sometimes I feel I may be wrong. He may have been an equal partner in building the Reliance Empire and like Infocomm which was Mukesh’s baby, Reliance Energy might revolutionize the power sector. But somehow I have not been able to decode his plans. The more I try to understand his game plan more baffled I get. Is he having some trump card up his sleeve or its just faith in their own project implementation skill is what making him focus all out on power generation?

My knowledge says that distribution should be what they should be focusing on. Has any technology revolution taken place in power sector which can help india skip few stages of development. Something similar to what optic fiber technology did for telecom? During my interview with CRISIL, my interviewer who is an expert in the sector said that such technology exists. I had not been able to place my hand on what exactly is this new technology breakthrough which might be Anil's trump card.

Can Reliance do in power sector what they did in telecom sector with CDMA trump card?

Today I was reading about Anil's commitment to invest Rs. 48000 crores in Hirma (Orrisa) for power generation, apart from their investment in Dadri. They are looking to add 20000 mw of generation capacity. However their plans for power distribution is still not clear. Real inefficiency in india is in distribution sector and there lies maximum oppurtunity to make a difference. Its not that generation is not important but distribution is very critical. Otherwise it would be like creating Jamnagar refinery without any petrol pumps to sell the output. And then end up in the hands of IOC, to sell the produce to them at price dictated by them.

Critical question as this stage is whether Reliance had planned integrated distribution for power & telecom (http://neerajgutgutia.blogspot.com/2004/05/reliance-integrating-telecom-and-power.html)if they had as I earlier suggested...we should just wait and watch out for another Reliance revolution in power sector. But the recent development suggest that both brothers were dreaming independent dreams, one in telecom and the other in power. And at this later stage I am not sure whether those empty ducts infocomm infrastructure can be modified for power distribution. And if it cant be modified, Ambanis have lost billions of dollars due to their infighting :(

Anil, you are passionate about your power project and I am passionate about your telecom project. Why dont you focus all your energy on power venture and make me head of the infocomm project. You will end up will all the gains, and I will be able to live my passion.

Or is this Hirma project just gas?

No comments: